2021 Trustee Election
Budget Vote and Trustee election will be held Thursday April 29th 12pm-8pm.
People who are United States citizens, eighteen years old or older, and have been residents of the State of New York and this school district for 30 days preceding the election are eligible to run. There are currently three vacancies on the Howland Board of Trustees: two for a term of five (5) years, one for a term of two (2) years.
Candidates must complete a petition. Each petition must be directed to the Library Election Clerk, must be signed by at least 25 qualified voters of the Howland Public Library District, must legibly state the residence of each signer, and must state the name and residence of the candidate (P.O. Boxes are not sufficient). Petition forms may be obtained from the Library weekdays between 9:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. You can also download a petition below.
Petitions nominating candidates for the office of trustee of the Howland Public Library must be returned to the Library Election Clerk not later than 4:30 p.m., Monday, March 29, 2021. If candidates mail their petition it must be received by the due date. Post marked envelopes showing the due date will be disqualified.
- Create, develop, and promote the mission of the library
- Ensure the library has a long range plan
- Secure adequate funding for the library’s operations
- Exercise fiduciary responsibility for the use of public and private funds
- Adopt and review policies
- Maintain a facility that meets the library’s community needs
- Promote the library in the community
- Participate in all Board and assigned Committee meetings, following Open Meetings Law
- Select a qualified library Director
- Work closely with the library Director using clear lines of communication and with the understanding that the Director, as CEO, manages the daily operations of the library
- Under New York State law, a library board has broad authority to manage the affairs of the library but it is a collective authority.